Thursday, March 3, 2011

Album Cover Redesign

Below is my redesign of the Wilco album cover for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The corn cob looking things on the original (if anyone is familiar with Chicago) is actually the Marina City Complex. I incorporated this into my redesign by finding old construction plans (source) and implemented them in the background and the graphics on the lower left. I wanted to raise the complexity of the original album cover a little bit, but still tried to maintain the less is more philosophy. The background was done using a gray scale live trace in Illustrator then playing with the color a little bit in Photoshop. The top view graphics were taken from an expanded live trace image then, copy and pasted onto a layer within Illustrator. Within Photoshop I also utilized symbols to place the scale graphic under 'Wilco' to give it more of a technical drawing feel. Great album.

Mine.


Original.


-rjh

No comments:

Post a Comment